The program aims at:
- Promotion of workers' health and strengthening occupational health services in the Cooperation Council States. This is in view of the great industrial development in the Council States and the emergence of occupational exposures with its various kinds: biological, physical, chemical and radiological.
- Setting strategies necessary to upgrade occupational health and keep workers healthy.
- Exchange of information and experiences among Council States.
- Achieving close cooperation with credible scientific bodies in the field of occupational health and safety.
Occupational health is a vital investment for development.
Development of the infrastructure, policies, technologies, and partnerships which might contribute to attaining the basic level that provides protection and promotion of health in all workplaces.
- The committee involves members of the Council States among those who work in the departments of occupational health and safety in the ministries of health.
- Representatives from the ministries of labour and social affairs take part in the meetings of the committee as observers.
- Experts from WHO/HQ and WHO/EMRO and the Executive Board for Ministers of Labour and Ministers of Social Affairs as needed.
- The Committee held (8) meetings so far.
- The Committee has by-laws & the coordinator of the committee is the Kuwait member Dr. Ahmed Al-Shatti.
- The Gulf strategy for Occupational Health and Safety was set by the Gulf Committee, which was crowned by the endorsement of the Health Ministers in the 67th meeting in Genève (25/5/1430 H – 20/5/2009).
- A database of the OHS institutions and centers as well as with the specialists and consultants at the level of the Gulf was prepared.
- Issuance of Kuwait Initiative for promotion of occupational health in the Cooperation Council States coming out of the 4th Gulf Forum, which was endorsed by the Health Ministers in the 71st conference held in Genève (14/6/1432 H – 17/5/2011) according to the mechanisms proposed by the Gulf Committee for Occupational Health and Safety.
- The Occupational and Environmental Health Standards in accrediting hospitals and other health care facilities were endorsed by resolution # 3 issued by the Health Ministers' Council in the 75th conference held in Genève, 22 May, 2013 & they are currently applied in the Council States.
- Endorsement of the Occupational Health Table for Cooperation Council States and the Gulf Guidelines for Evaluation of Occupational Disability (prepared by the Gulf Committee for OHS and experts from the Eastern Mediterranean Region)
1. National/ Gulf Qualification in the field of occupational health and safety.
2. Establishing a specialized Gulf center for occupational health and safety.
3. Giving more attention to this subspecialty in the Gulf universities and ministries of health as well as spreading the culture of occupational health and safety at the level of schools.
1. Spreading and giving effect to the role of the national committees for occupational health and safety in the Cooperation Council States.
2. Promotion of research in the field of occupational health.
3. Issuance of a publication on occupational health and safety in the Council States.
4. Implementation of the Gulf Strategy for Occupational Health and Safety as well as the Kuwait initiative for promotion of O.H. in the Cooperation Council States.
5. Strengthening cooperation with universities and Gulf occupational health centers as well as international centers and organizations in the field of occupational health and safety.