- Nutrition and micronutrients have a great role in many of the health problems at the international, regional and Gulf level. It has got a prominent place-too-in the control of NCDs.
- Since 2010 the objectives of the committee have become as follows:
- Discussion of micronutrient deficiencies and iodine deficiency disorders.
- Discussion and study of nutrition problems and its complications.
- Setting plans, policies and controls capable of dealing with nutrition problems, health education programs to decrease the prevalence of such diseases during the coming 10 years.
- The committee was assigned the mission of studying and setting mechanisms of implementation and giving effect to WHO resolutions (May 2016) regarding:
- UN Decade for nutrition (2016/2025)
- Putting an end to inappropriate promotion for infants and young children foods.
- Setting the general framework for the plan to combat obesity of children and youth, in cooperation with the Gulf committee for control of NCDs.
- The committee convenes annually.
Most Important Recommendations and Outcomes
- Adoption of making agreements by the member states with International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency to set plans, programs and strategies to promote national programs to eliminate iodine and iodine deficiency disorders.
- Commitment of all the member states with reduction of table salt and saturated fat consumption during a specific time period as specified & setting a national strategic plan to be implemented with related authorities.
- Work towards issuance of a special standard specification for trans-fat in foods.
- Conduction of comprehensive awareness campaigns about health effects due to increased consumption of sugar especially sugary soft drinks.
- Intensifying control on advertisements and promotion of sugary drinks in various media.
- Emphasis on informing manufacturers, importers of food products to abide by writing down nutritional data on the card of the product according to the Gulf Technical Specification.
- Unifying the Gulf plan for health promotion towards combating obesity and overweight problems through creation of an appropriate environment to take sustained procedures at the level of the individual, community and at the national level with the aim of reducing incidence rate of obesity through control of predisparing factors.
Strategy of Work
- Strategy for giving effect to clinical nutrition in the health facilities.
- Proposed nutritional plan for a number of sub-items (nutritional surveillance – Awareness and education – media – policies and legislations)
Mechanism of Work
Membership of the Committee
- In addition, the regional coordinators of the International Council for Control of Iodine Deficiency and Micronutrients and a representative of the Gulf Standardization Organization and the regional advisor of nutrition (WHO/EMRO).